“Mr. O’Connor. This is an emotional time for us. We don’t know what to do. We’ve never done this before. Can you help us and tell us what we need to do?”
This is a very common phone call I frequently receive. Very few have ever experienced a burial-at-sea and have many questions. This is the most rewarding part of my business because have rewarded me immensely just by reaching out to me.We love helping you and will spend time with you and help you in any way we can. We will answer all of your questions and encourage you to call us again should you have more questions. If we cannot be of service to you, we still want help and guide you appropriately. These would be our basic suggestions:
- Review our web site and all of the options.
- Call us the moment you feel the need to.
- Where you want the burial to be performed: Catalina, Long Beach, Newport, San Pedro. We are located in Long Beach so this would be your least expensive option.
- Who would you like to invite: We are limited to 12 passengers at any one time .There are no limits should you chose the View-from-the-Pier option. It is also the least expensive. I encourage everyone to save when they can!
- When you would like the service to be performed: We go out any time of the day, any day of the week, including holidays. We believe very strongly in doing everything that will be convenient for you and your guests.
- How you would like the service to be performed: Envision the ceremony. How would you personally plan what would make you the happiest. It is your day!
- What you would like to bring such as a video, pictures, music, special foods or drinks: We have 2 flat screens and an 8 speaker stereo system. We also have ample space to display pictures.
- The options also include a live broadcast to you and your party sitting on a beach or in a park for example. Or it can be broadcast live for anyone who cannot attend. This can be of a tremendous savings and pretty exciting! Would you like a bag piper, Military Honors, or religious service? We can do it all!
There are also the options of how the ashes are put into the water, who lowers the basket, who decorates the basket and how it is decorated, colors or types of flowers.
In addition some families arrange for a Ringing of the ship’s bell, special foods, or want special items to be included in the burial.
Special flowers, butterflies, memorial wreath are other considerations.
We will discuss with you all of the particulars in the planning stage. Our only goal is to please you and make the ceremony an amazing and wonderful experience: One you will never forget!Our services are for both the general public and the Military. Feel free to call us at any time!
For the State of California, the Secretary of State and Attorney General, Department of Justice, and Department of Consumer Affairs have awarded a non-profit, public benefit, charitable trust designation to The Last Watch Foundation to provide funeral services to help the Military and their families. We are the only organization in the United States to be awarded this honor. The State has also given us license to perform the scattering of ashes at sea. If a donation to The Last Watch is ever received, those funds are deposited directly into The Last Watch Foundation.